Recipe: Greek Gyro Burger
Happy #NationalGyroDay! There's no time like the present to share a #150BunsofSummer recipe that puts a little twist on the classic Greek gyro sandwich. Imagine yourself in line for a sweet, sweet gyro pita and then top this juicy burger as such. We have a suggested list below in the ingredients (with cucumber, red onion, arugula, etc.), but feel free to stray off course and/or give your guests an abundance of toppings.
Also, don't sleep on these feta fries!!! They are to die for side dish, and the feta topping could just as easily go on sweet potato fries, over a salad, directly on a burger, the options are endless!
- 4 #DItaliano Original Crustini Hamburger Buns
- 1.5 lbs. ground beef
- 1 small white onion
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- One small red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ cup tzatziki
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- ½ cup of feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup of fresh oregano
- Mash burger ingredients together and mold into ¾ inch thick patties.
- Grill patties over medium-high heat, roughly four minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Cut potatoes into French fry-like shape, lightly toss in olive oil & salt and spread out on a baking tray.
- Cook fries in oven at 450°F for 30 minutes, tossing them every 10 minutes.
- Combine crumbled feta, oregano and olive oil, and top fresh fries with this mixture.
- To build the sandwich, toast bun and top the burger with arugula, feta, tomato, onion, cucumber, and tzatziki.
In partnership with Weston Bakeries.