Happy National Garlic Day! In honour of garlic and the beginning of grilling season, ToFoodies has officially broken out the BBQ. Grill marks can have quite an elevating effect to a meal- whether on the meat, veggies, or simply the bun. So, use it before you lose it! In partnership with D’Italiano® , we created a sandwich that would transform their Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns in something even grander – garlic bread. All so simple, yet so revolutionary. They’re rolling out #150BunsofSummer recipes until September 2017 (yes, 150 recipes to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday!), and we are delighted to help deliver some serious the sandwich inspo. Stay vigilant, because there are plenty more recipes coming.
In the meantime, imagine thick slices of medium rare steak, over a smear of goat cheese with fresh parsley, melt-in-your-mouth caramelized onions and lemony roasted red peppers. That’s this.
4 D’Italiano® Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns
1. Halve the red peppers and remove seeds. Place them seed-side-down on a baking tray and cook for nearly an hour, until they blister. Cut blistered peppers into smaller slices and toss with lemon juice, zest, olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan and add olive oil and brown sugar. Once the butter is melted, toss in onions and cook for five minutes on medium heat. Pour in red wine vinegar, lower heat and cook for about 30 minutes until onions become dark brown.
3. While the onions are cooking, season steak with generous salt and pepper and then sear each side for 2 minutes on the grill. Cook steaks until desired doneness is achieved. When finished, let the meat rest for a couple of minutes and then slice 1-inch pieces, going against the grain.
4. Butter the insides of the D’Italiano® Herb & Garlic Hamburger Buns and throw on the grill.
5. To build the sandwich, spread goat cheese on the bottom bun and layer with steak, roasted red peppers, caramelized onions and parsley.