Summer in Toronto is madness! Every weekend there are some many festivals; it’s honestly hard to keep track. THIS weekend it is Wayhome and next weekend we have Caribana and OVO, always a highlight of the summer. On that OVO/Caribana tip, we tried our best to create a jerk chicken recipe that would go perfectly on. a. bun. “Controlla” is a Drake song, and applying the word to a sandwich just makes it sound like a serious boss. We like a good char on this guy, and the mango salsa freshness is the perfect thing to cut the heat of all these spices!
• 4 Wonder Bread Canada White Hamburger Buns
• 8 Maple Lodge Farms boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 1 large mango (or 3 three small ones) cubed
• 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
• 1 medium tomato, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• Juice of 1 lime
• Salt & pepper to taste
• 1 large Scotch bonnet pepper, stem and seeds removed
• Juice of 2 limes
• 1 white onion, diced
• 2 large green onions, diced
• 1 tbsp. grated ginger
• 3 large cloves garlic, diced
• 1 tbsp. thyme
• 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp. brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
• 4 whole cloves
• 1 tsp. ground allspice
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. black pepper
• ½ cup avocado oil
1. Combine all jerk chicken marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag, then add the chicken thighs.
2. Close bag and shake so the sauce completely coats all chicken pieces. Marinate for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
3. When you’re almost ready to eat, combine all mango salsa ingredients in a bowl.
4. Grill chicken on high heat, for about five minutes per side, or until cooked through.
5. Build sandwich by topping one or two chicken thighs with mango salsa and placing atop a toasted bun.